Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Being In Michigan

There are several things I noticed right away when I landed in Detroit. The first was that it looked exactly the same from the plane window as when I left Raleigh. It was over cast and looked like it was misting. Great. The other thing was that people didn't speak to each other on the plane at all, but I can guarantee that people will interact on the way back home. Huh. Odd.

I got to Budget and the woman was ever so nice to me. I love when that happens. Nice people are the best. Nice people who smile and thank you for your business in the sincere way (as opposed to the "Get the hell out before I go postal" way). At any rate, the lady tells me that I am getting a little Chevy Cobalt. Cool. Basically I'll be driving what used to be the Cavelier and that's cool. She mentions the color will be "burnt orange." WHAT!?!? Exactly who in Chevy's board room decided that was a good color? This one is definitely worth a picture from the cell phone cam a little later. This is one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen. It isn't as bad now (5 hours after picking it up), but it scares me each time I get in or out of it. Burnt Orange. Burnt. Orange.

On my way to my dad's house I was noticing something that I take for granted: well maintained roads. Or, rather, roads that are not exposed to the same weathering elements as they are here. And there is A LOT of road kill in the greater Detroit area. What's with that? I swear, if I was sick and twisted enough (like my brother at age 19) I would take some pictures. There are a ton of dead animals on the side of the roads here. The only thing I can think of is that in North Carolina we have our state prisoners to clean up the sides of the major roads and perhaps they are the ones scooping the flattened fauna. Perhaps. So, once I accepted the fact that the roads still suck, 94 and 23 are STILL under construction with no end in sight, and there is a lot of road kill....well it was nice to be here. It's colder here than home, but not in a bad way really. It's refreshing. I love the fact that some of the leaves are changing colors. I miss that part of the autumn down south.

The best part of being here in October? Tomorrow, on the way to Traverse City to meet up with Chris and his family, we're stopping at Uncle John's to get REAL cider and fresh donuts. Life could not be better once I get some cider and donuts! And stay tuned for a picture of the ugliest car ever. And yes, I know that there will be some of you who have uglier cars you can think of, but this is mine. :)

1 comment:

Shane said...

Burnt Orange was an option on my G6. Yeah, can't make up my mind on it. Some days it's cool, others - not so much.

Did you happen to see our new "Gateway Arch" overpass by the Airport?

...

That is all I can say about it.

...guh.

Can't drive around here in Spring without re-aligning my tires/shocks, etc., but we've got "The Gateway Arch Overpass" - whoopdie-freakin-doo!!!!

Anyway, I digress. Welcome back - I hope your stay is enjoyable. The color up north will be spectacular, my folks in da UP are already past peak I believe. It's always beautiful to see in pics or in person.