I’ve been looking at the away message on my Google Chat. It says “At Work” and it has said that for about four days now. I haven’t changed it because….well, I have been at work. Every day. All day. Either teaching or at the wine store. I had yesterday off, but I was so exhausted that I lay down and took a two-hour nap from 6 until 8 last night. There is something inherently depressing in an away message that hasn’t changed in 4 days.
Here’s the thing: Please do not comment on what I should do about the following. Please don’t give me advice about who I should talk to or what I should tell to whichever person. Please don’t tell me I need to soldier through and it will get better. Please don’t tell me that I can’t let it get me down and I need to just be more positive. I know, but for the time being I feel completely adrift and down and tired and frustrated and I need to be able to vent here without people making comments about how I can fix it. I don’t want anyone to fix it, I just want to vent. Okay?
So here’s the deal: I am exactly eight days (counting today) away from tracking out. Now, I actually have not been keeping count this time around because I can’t look that far ahead when it comes to teaching. Things are terrible in my classroom right now about 60% of the time with two students. It’s hard to image for some of you how two kids can wreck a person; especially when I am typically upbeat and let things roll off of me. These two kids just wear me down, though. So, looking at eight days is a hell of a lot harder than looking at just getting through today and on to the next day. It depresses me that I am a damn good teacher, but because of my class this year I can’t be that person. I can try all I want, but two or three kids end up ruining it. I am officially the mean teacher on my hallway right now. That actually makes me laugh on the one hand and secretly kills me at the same time. When I have had to call in for subs…. some won’t take the job in my class! That really bugs me because I feel like that is a reflection on me as a teacher, even though I know better. It still hurts.
Another thing is that I feel like I haven’t had any time with Chris at all. He went away for a guy weekend, which was totally cool. But I worked the whole weekend. Friday at school and the wine store, Saturday (all day) and then had Sunday off. I was so tired on Sunday that I barely got anything done before Chris got home. Then it was teaching on Monday and Tuesday and work at the wine store. I had yesterday off, but spent most of my evening it sleeping or simply laying still because I had a migraine. It kills me that I am working two jobs and then I come home and I feel like the apartment is wrecked and I just don’t have the energy to clean up by the time 9:30PM rolls around and I am walking in the door. 99% of the time I come home, eat, kiss Chris and go to bed only to get a crappy night’s sleep and have to get up and do it all again tomorrow. So, I don’t see Chris, the house is a mess, I am too tired on a daily basis and have usually one day of the weekend (Sunday) off. It’s the vicious cycle of my life right now.
Can I just say that it depresses me even more that I will mostly likely spend the first full week of my track out cleaning instead of really getting to relax? And that we have enough dirty laundry to choke a horse? I easily have enough laundry to last a day and a half. You know how it happens- there are certain things you put in a low priority pile, right? Well, I have about three of those. I used to do laundry on Saturday, but not anymore. I try and do it on Sunday, but I also try and sleep in so I don’t have a migraine for an entire week. Sunday is the day I am catching up on sleep (which of course never really happens) and then do laundry. It’s so overwhelming, though.
I am tired of feeling this way and some might say that I just need to put a stop to it. I assure you, I have tried. I am tired of feeling like a hamster running in a wheel and never getting anywhere. It feels like on little thing gets done, but three others pile up. I am tired of coming home and feeling shell-shocked. I am tired of not seeing Chris and spending quality time with him. I am tired of watching my “to do” list grow too long. I am tired of trying to figure out when I will get time to pick out the last of the wedding stuff and knowing I am running out of time to get these done. I know I can send my mom or Chris, but it’s MY wedding too! I want to be able to do these things.
Basically- I am just plain tired. Tired of not liking my job enough, annoyed that I don’t get enough sleep, frustrated that I don’t have enough time to spend with Chris, and tired of a messy apartment. And the kicker is- there isn’t much to be done about it right now. I know that my track out will be spent mainly doing chores and it bugs me, but that’s life. I know that the school year is coming closer to an end, but it doesn’t help the day to day (constant) frustration of dealing with certain students. I know that next week I work three less hours than this week at the wine store and that will be better, but it is still 3 week nights I am not home. I know that life will get better, but it’s not really a comfort now. I know all of this…
And yet I am still just plain tired of my life right now and what I really wish is that I could lay down and have a good cry. But I can’t because I have to go and pick up my students from Music and hope that no one got kicked out this week.
Thursday, April 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Mandy, had a week like this, too, just didn't feel like blogging about it (for once!!).
I hope your week off is more enjoyable than you expect it to be!
Post a Comment