Sunday, September 17, 2006

From Arthur to Michigan and Home Again

Well, if you have looked at the pics on the blog here you can tell that I went to Michigan. The lovely state where I grew up. My mom gave me a hard time for posting the picture of the Red Cedar River at MSU, but I love that view from the bridge on Farm Lane.

At any rate....business first: For Jen- the reading at Barnes and Noble of Arthur Writes a Story went exceptionally well. There were quite a few kids and parents (including my mom too) and the people who were there seemed to think I did an excellent job. I was quite pleased and told them I would read any time they needed someone. I got lots of compliments from parents and the average child was only about 3 or 4. It was cool. I wish I could make a good living out of reading kids books (aloud or as an editor or reviewer)!

I just got back from a week in Michigan yesterday. Whew! I had a nice time, but I am BEAT! My bridal shower was on Sept. 9 and that was fantastic! I am in the process of writing thank you notes and marveling at the great family and friends I have to buy these things for me. I am very grateful and I can't wait to have all the stuff come down with various relatives in October. I did manage to bring the duvet cover and sheet set with me, though. I am throwing those in the washer in just a little bit to try them out! There is something pleasing about having nice things to make your home brighter.

The rest of the week was spent mainly between Tripper and Melinda's and then in Lansing watching Christian and Emily when Sara had surgery. It was great to be able to see the nieces and nephews and hang out with Emma and TJ, who were much littler and less vocal last year. Emma is a delight and very funny, as is TJ. Mitch and Marissa were lots of fun too. I got to witness the birth of a football star (well, we hope) on Monday night when I went to Mitch's practice. Marissa and I had some "super secret" fun on Tuesday night (because she couldn't come to Mitch's practice). Melinda and I managed to make the carpet cleaner work and clean up the carpet in the front room. Emma later declared that the clean carpet "is cute, Mommy!" Melinda and I, of course, had to agree. :) I wish I could have stayed longer- simply to maybe see the "big" kids a little more. Mat and Meagan have lives of their own, so I never see them as much, but I wish I could. I didn't really get to spend too much time with Tripper, either. He was going to try and come home early on Wednesday, but had to stay later. Besides all that, I can honestly say that I love hanging out with my sister-in-law. Melinda and I always get a good laugh out of things and I enjoy being able to sit downstairs with the babies and let her get some things done.

The other two days I was in Lansing taking care of Christian and Emily, which was trying and fun at the same time. They were stressed which made them hard to handle some times. Thank goodness I have known them for their whole lives and I am a patient person. Poor Miguel sounded a little worried on Thursday night when he called to say Sara was doing well after surgery and got the update of the craziness of the day. I assured him things were under control, though. Christian, Emily, and I had a good time, though. We went to the park and painted and played. Not too bad at all. Needless to say, I was more than ready to come home yesterday. Dad and I hung out on Friday and Saturday before the airport, but it was SO nice to land in Raleigh and come home to Chris and the cats and dog.

So today I am sitting here, relaxing. Trying to catch up with friends and get the laundry done. Mom and I are going out to Bed, Bath, and Beyond in a couple hours to pick out a down comforter to go with the duvet cover my aunts, grandma and cousins got us. Plus, we get to pick up the food processor someone got me. Woo hoo! Beyond that I can also hit the Borders and get myself a cook book with the gift card Sylvia and Diane got me to go with the mixer. I'm going to cook some with the new stuff we got.

So that's the story from here....next time: Chris agrees to go to London and Scotland for our honeymoon instead of the Bahamas! YES! Now just to save the money and do new research!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Glad the reading went well!

I didn't even know you were up here.... Weird. Funny how much we don't know despite living so close to everyone.