Monday, March 21, 2005

Just when you thought it was safe...

You know, I sometimes hate teaching. Not the actual teaching part, but the dealing with kids whose parents insist on sending them to school with fevers and nasty colds. I used to be healthy. I used to get one major cold a year. Since teaching I think I have been nursing one cold for nearly three years (I am counting the internship in there too). IT'S INSANE!

I thought maybe I was sore because I slept funny. I thought maybe I was just really tired because I haven't been sleeping great and I've had more headaches (which always messes with my already light sleeping). Nope....A COLD HAS HIT! Gah!

In related news, I have my yearly physical coming up at the end of the month. After last year's billing fiasco I decided I would never go back to that doctor. Well, it all continues. For those of you who are not up to speed- last year I went to my yearly and they made me pay the whole amount up front. The visit should have been COMPLETELY covered (according to my benefits handbook) and I should only have owed the $15 co-pay. Yeah...whatever. They made me pay. Longest story really short- my insurance company cut and sent the check out next day. The doctor had been paid twice and then it took me two and a half months to recover my money from them. It took me and my mom harassing them and threatening to sue until they finally coughed my money up. GRRR...

I called the Evil Doctor today to cancel the appointment they made for me a year ago and also to talk to them about picking up my medical records. Did you know that there are people out there who think they can charge you MONEY for medical records that are legally yours? Apparently they are out there and, GO FIGURE, some of those people happen to be The Evil Doctor! GOOD GOD WHY??? Needless to say I just nodded and made the appropriate "I'm listening and paying attention" noises before I made sure they cancelled the appointment. Then I went and spouted off to our secretary at school (who is also in charge of all the teacher absences) and she assured me that since the records are legally mine they can not charge me. Whatever. My Good Doctor said that I didn't HAVE to have them. Therefore I will simply let his office request them and I will make sure they know not to let Evil Doctor make them pay $20. EEeEEEEEEeeevil!

Unrelated note- I broke my first wooden board in tae kwon do this past Thursday. It was cool. Chris and I were some of the only adults so we got to be super cool and hold all the boards for the younger and very young kids. All in all a very neat experience.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Mandy, when I worked at Henry Ford they charged $40 to copy your medical records for you. However, pretty much all offices will transfer your records to another doctor (with your written consent) as a professional courtesy. Do it that way and save some dough.

We only made people pay up front if they had no proof of insurance and no insurance information already on record. It sucks, but most people under those circumstances were okay with it. I luckily didn't deal with billing beyond collecting copays and office visits in those rare cases.