Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Home At Last

Chris and I just got home from Michigan. Sorry to those of you who I didn't call. Sylvia called us this past Thursday night to inform us that Chris's grandpa had died and we just sort of had to spring into action. We flew up on Saturday morning (VERY EARLY) and flew home today. The funeral was on Sunday and it was a long and emotional day for Chris and his family. Thanks to those of you who said prayers for him.

At any rate, we had an exhausting weekend and day today. Got up at 4:45AM to find many schools closed and our flight delayed by nearly an hour. We left early anyway, just to make sure Dad could go nice and slow and all get to the airport in one piece, which we did. Once we got there the ladies from US Air decided to reroute our connecting flight from DC to Charlotte, which was fine with us because it got us ever closer to home. The only bad thing about this all was the fact that we sat for an hour in the airport waiting to board and then for almost another 2 hours on the runway because we had to wait in the de-ice the planes line. Don't get me wrong, I am ALL ABOUT taking ice off the plane, it was just long, drawn out and closed in with recirculated air. None the less, after numerous phone calls to Mom and Dad (because I knew we would miss our connection from sitting on the jetway) we got things figured out. Landed in Charlotte, saw the desk lady to figure out what to do that we missed our second flight, but saw that we didn't because it was cancelled. They put us on the next flight, which wasn't until 2:05 PM. That was the time it was supposed to leave, but we didn't take off until about 2:30. Chris and I both slept most of the 45 minutes it took to get from there to Raleigh.

Talk about long time in airports. It could have been WAAAAAY worse, so I am really thankful that the ladies in Detroit had the forethought to arrange for us to fly through Charlotte. Thanks, ladies!

Anyway, I think I will go and collapse with my cats and dog now. Tired and have to teach tomorrow and it's also my birthday. The big 2-8. Hard to believe, but true anyway. :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Sorry to hear about Chris' grandpa.

I am glad to hear that you made it back okay, though. The weather has been pretty downright nasty here the past couple of days.

Happy birthday (I'm early by 12 minutes, but hey!).... Hope it's better for you than the past week has been.