Thursday, December 15, 2005

In which people are pleasantly surprised

If you look at the picture from the other day, I was one of the title's surprised people. Every day during the end of the day Read Aloud, my kids (the students) get out the markers and paper and draw until I think they might drop. Most days it's nothing big- rainbows, their names, whatever. Imagine my surprise on Tuesday afternoon when I usher them all out of the room with a (smiling and jokingly said): "Go Home! All children must leave or spend the night in the school! GO HOME, for the love of GOD!" and I return to my desk to find those nice little pieces of paper. Tuesday just happened to be an incredibly long day in which I spent most of the time I could have been teaching or attempting to do the report cards actually back and forth to the office. All thanks to TWO CHILDREN. Of course, it was the Usual Suspect (a.k.a. Devil Child) and another. At any rate, I think some of my girls may have noticed the mounting stress. They spent their afternoon listening time making those pictures for me. I love it! It made my day.

The other people who were pleasantly surprised were a kindergarten teacher and our music teacher. Over the last two days they both found out I was engaged. This is the odd thing about Year Round school and how we track in and out at different times. You think you've touched base with everyone, but then someone notices the shiny ring and exclaims with delight: "I had no idea! When did that happen?" I must admit, that I do love when that happens. It gives me the chance to tell the story of how great Chris did with proposing. It also gives me time to be at school and not stress about Usual Suspect #1 or his partner in crime: Barf Boy (drank much hot sauce on a dare from Usual Suspect and lost his lunch in the literal sense).

It's always nice to have a break.

No comments: