Friday, October 26, 2007

Praise Poem

In my mind's eye I am in the
rolling, rollicking hills of Scotland
full of boisterous people, ruddy
faced, strong in heart, soft in heart.

I am here and now- Midwest sensibility
mixed with a little southern sass.
I am Michigan- born and bred, small
town folk with big town dreams.
I stand at the precipice, in the
graveyard of my family- looking
over my shoulder at the ancestors:
the farmers, doctors, homemakers.

My life is made of layers of Order of the Eastern Stars,
Free Masons, do-gooders, write mores, read mores
Learn Mores!
I am gentle teasing, loud talking,
storytelling, won't shut up (can't shut up).

I stand a blazing sapphire sun
a five foot nine giraffe. I tower
on the shoulders of all who came
before me.

I am olive, stormy and full of
fire- a slow burning blaze.
I am larger than life, full
of women who came before me
and took no sass.

I am that black cat on the back rail
of the house- half asleep,
unconcerned, always on guard.

My mind's eye sees the world
stretched out before me:
Mine for the taking
I need no permission.

I am laughter, I am the silent
sleeping cornfield stretching for miles.
I am my family.

I am the grandmother who left this world
the same day I came into it
15 years apart.
I am March 2nd.
I am Peggy
I am Kathie
I am Pam
I am Joyce.

I am the creaking crackle of ice after
the storm and the gentle breeze
walking in your door.

Who am I?

I am strength, I am honor, I am all
those who came before me.

I amble and roll-step: marching band trained
Right-left in a military manner.
I walk with the power of love, laughter,
and tears because they all brought
me to the same place.

I am right here.

No comments: