Thursday, June 29, 2006

Superman Returns!

If you grew up in the 70s and 80s, much like I did, there were certain movies that seemed to define your childhood. One of the first movies I remember seeing was “E.T” while in Marquette visiting my relatives. Even today, when I hear the theme music to that movie, there is a catch in my chest because it is so powerful a memory. Further on I remember seeing “Star Wars” on the TV with my dad; once again the music to that movie makes my blood race just a little bit. Finally, though, there was “Superman”. Although the movie came out in 1978, a year after I was born, I can recall seeing the movie when I was around 8 or so. When one of the sequels was out at the drive-in movies, I remember sitting in the back of the car, barely keeping my eyes open, and seeing that movie. Christopher Reeve was the Superman I grew up with and the Superman theme by John Williams was the music I will always love.

Last night, Chris and I went to see “Superman Returns” starring Brandon Routh as the Man of Steel. Earlier last year when I heard they were making the film I remember thinking that I didn’t know if anyone would ever be able to fill the shoes of Christopher Reeve. He was my Superman. All the other guys playing him on TV recently were okay, but in the movies it would always be Christopher Reeve. Besides, this kid was someone I had never heard of- how good could he really be? But when the first teaser trailer was released on line, I became a little more of a believer in the power of this new Superman. Dang! This kid looked uncannily similar to a really young Chris Reeve! And the casting of Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor was brilliant. About 2 months ago I saw the full trailer and I was convinced that this movie would not disappoint. Thank goodness I was right!

From the moment the credits started, the swell of the original John Williams theme for Superman began to play and I knew that Bryan Singer had gotten it right. Even better was seeing Brandon Routh practically channel the late Christopher Reeve in how he created such nuances in his performance by sliding effortlessly between the two distinct personalities of Clark Kent and Superman. The lilt of his voice, the way he carried himself, the posture, his flying technique. Ultimately I cannot imagine someone who hated this guy’s performance. It was as near to perfect as I could have hoped for, but didn’t really expect. I knew this franchise was in good hands when I heard Bryan Singer let X-Men to direct this movie, but when you grow up with one person burned into your brain as a character- well you get a little scared thinking about someone else taking over.

I can’t wait to see this at our local I-Max theater in 3-D. I am trying to convince Chris that we should get tickets for July 3rd or 4th, but we’ll see. This is a movie I will own, watch again and again, and I will treasure it in the same way I treasure the first one. In a day and age when I find myself having a hard time explaining to my 5th grade students why bad things happen it was good to know that Superman was back. This is what movie going should be like. Go see “Superman Returns” and see it now. There is no better time than the present to be reminded of the ideals of a nation like America reflected in a character who has stood the test of time. Thank god Superman has returned!

No comments: