Monday, October 11, 2004

I feel old

Tonight I am feeling old. I know, I know. I'm only 27 and there is not a reason in the world that I should feel old (says you). But I tell you there is and here it is:

MY BONES ACHE!!!

Right. So, I know what some of you are thinking: "Mandy, don't be such a wuss. Lots of people have aching bones." Yeah, I know this. Here is the difference between your average person and me- I have arthritis. Seriously. Lucky me, I even went to a specialist for it because I was in so much pain about five years ago that my regular doctor recommended me to a specialist. It was all very interesting. Turned out that I have the genetic marker for the same arthritis my dad has. This is not good. Still, having the marker doesn't mean you have it. No, what I have is plain and simple rheumatoid arthritis in my legs. Mainly my knees, but some in the legs. I think part of my problem back then was that I was indeed still growing just a bit and that was causing some of the aches and pains. I am not growing any more.

I have these days when my knees ache. It's nothing like my dad has- he has constant ache and pain. Nah....Comparatively it really is nothing at all. Annoying, but small on a day to day basis. Sometimes it gets worse, but Advil takes care of it. Today is not one of those days. Today is one of those days where Advil does not work. This actually frightens me because Advil ALWAYS works. I've been trying to ignore the pain. It's just been there all day and there really is nothing you can do about it when your job consists of standing mainly. Standing does not make it better, but I just grit my teeth and keep going. On the way home tonight I was thinking: "Yikes....this sucks. I hate shifting when my knees hurt. DARN IT! I hate when my knees hurt and the traffic is stop and go. Crap.....I don't have any pain relievers in the car!" I got home, took some and.....and....and....NOTHING. As a matter of fact, the knees hurt MORE. Ah cruel twist of fate!

So now, instead of just knees aching, both my legs ache. From my heels all the way to my hips. The true, deep in your bones, in the marrow, radiating heat ACHE. I feel old.

No comments: