Thursday, October 21, 2004

Most Embarressing Moment

Well, since Jen asked and also voted on the post- here are two things just for her. The first is how the Year Round schedule works.

Basically I go to school for the entire year, no summers off. Well, since kids are required to go for 180 days and that is it, we have to break things up some how. This is where the three week breaks come in. We are in school for nine weeks and then track out for three. We continue this for the entire year. So it breaks down into FOUR marking periods (just like in traditional school calendars), but after each marking period I get a three weeks break that is basically replacing what I would have had for summer vacation. I LOVE THIS! I know it doesn’t work for everyone and I can completely understand what Jen means about not wanting to have Logan like that. BUT- three weeks is nothing compared to two and a half months of him non-stop! Besides, around here we have day camps that parents can send the kids to through the YMCA so that the parents who work have a good form of day care OR the parents who simply want their kids to have some enrichment can get it.

Now on to the second part of my post- the most embarrassing moment. My students and I were talking about this as a part of writing the other day. I shared with them my most embarrassing moment and now you all get to read it!

When I was in 7th grade I had an awful moment. I was in first hour, Spanish, and we were making a craft of some sort. I was using these bug scissors. I pinched the heel of my hand (The fleshy part right underneath my pinky, close to where your wrist is). I pinched it HARD. This blood blister started appearing. Let me tell you- I am your gal when it comes to emergencies for everyone else. When it comes to blood and myself, though, I kinda fall apart. So here is this blood blister filling up and I am not feeling well at all. We get back to our desks and things are beginning to look bleak! To this day I am not sure how my teacher failed to notice I was having a little flip out. As I began to lose my hearing I am turning around to my friend and telling her that I can’t hear and that I don’t feel well. I am starting to have trouble seeing and I am breaking out in a cold sweat.

The bell finally rings and my friend, Jenny, and I head out the door. Jenny is a good four inches shorter than me, and trying to support my weight. We get three steps out the door and I completely pass out in the hall among all the other kids changing classes! Apparently, when I fell over I cracked my hip and then my head made this wonderful dull thud as it hit. When I came to I had three teachers and a bunch of students hovering over me. I had to be helped to the office, paramedics were called. My mom had to drive back to the school. I had a monster bruise on my hip and then my head hurt something fierce. When my mom asked me what happened (with the teacher and the principal AND the paramedics) I had to tell them all that it was because I got a blood blister. I cried from embarrassment. For the next week at school, as I passed from class to class, I was the subject of many whispered conversations. For the next year I was known as the girl who passed out.

No comments: