School let out at 2:15 today because the weather was getting a little dicey. In Apex/Cary it wasn't that bad. Apparently (unknown to me until later), in Raleigh, things were a bit worse off. Here's the problem with working in the location I work in: I have two choices on how to get home that involve two different highways. The choice can be hard. Today was really not an easy call to make. If I took the Beltline I had a small chance of missing some major problems. Small. VERY SMALL. If I take 540, it is very hit or miss. Most times when I think: "Gee, I should take 540 because maybe it could be better." Today I doubt there was an actual "better" when it came to going home.
Problem #1- School was dismissed at 2:15 and my kids were still in the room at 3:20. The busses finally got there at 3:30 and I walked out the door at 3:35. A late start already.
Problem #2- North Carolina is not Michigan. We don't have the fleet of salt trucks and, apparently, our weather forecasting must really suck. A whole lot of good those SIX fricking Doppler radars did. Grr....by the time the small amount of salt and sand trucks got out there, well they got stuck in the same crap that I did when I chose to take the Beltline.
Problem #3- People are stupid here. No, there are people everywhere who are stupid. We just have a high concentration of them here where the stupidity is linked to bad weather. Not only are they not smart enough to give LOTS of room when the weather gets bad and they drive, but they also are stupid enough to just get out of their cars and LEAVE THEM on the highway. GAH!!!
I leave the rant alone. Suffice to say it took me a little over 3 and a half HOURS to get home. The best part was turning onto Ray Rd, which is where my apartment subdivision is located, and discovering it was just one big sheet of solid ice. Turning onto the road that leads back to my building was lots of thrills. There were three cars in front of me and two were trying to pass the third. Why? I DON'T KNOW. There was no reason and I watched in mild amusement as they nearly crunched the third sandwich style. As I turned into my parking lot and starting to go down the small hill I came to the quick realization that I needed to crank the wheel of my car if I stood any hope of NOT sliding into a car that was parked. Thankfully, I missed the car. I backed out of the spot I landed in and chose a different place. A place that I could easily back into so that I could slide on out of it tomorrow morning when there is sure to still be ice.
Dana was just on the phone with me. The county still hasn't called a two hour delay for tomorrow. *sigh*
Wednesday, January 19, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sounds like you were lucky to get out school at all...
They finally called school last night at 11:00PM. At 9:00PM there were 56 schools in all around Raleigh (mainly on my side of town) that had kids stuck there. All of those schools had anywhere from 3 to 40 kids have to spend the night! I am THANKFUL that I got home at all!
Post a Comment