Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Sweatshirt Shuffle

Living in North Carolina means that you do things differently. A basic thing like shopping for groceries can be very different down here. I think every time we shop for groceries Chris and I prepare ourselves for the inevitable conversation we will have with at least one random person. Seriously- you can not go grocery shopping without talking with a stranger here. I don't just mean the person who is scanning your groceries at the end, although that happens too. I mean that you will most likely bump into someone you do not know and somehow they will get your whole life story. The funny thing is, you don't realize it until after you say goodbye. It's like talking to someone you've known for a while. That's just how people are here.

The main thing I have noticed is that I do laundry differently. Right now I am in the scramble to make sure I have enough warm clothing to wear when I get to Michigan. All of my sweatshirts disappeared! It turns out that we wore almost every sweatshirt in the house a while back, the last time it was cold, and then only focused on doing the laundry that was immediately needed (not sweatshirts). This happens a lot. It is so intermittent that you where a sweatshirt out and about down here that they get forgotten about. Only the most favorite ones get washed. The three or four we like to wear the most. All the rest of them were thrown in the bottom of the hamper and forgotten about. Now I am stuck doing FOUR LOADS of sweatshirts! FOUR LOADS! If I was Chris I would cram it all into two, but I'm not. :) I like to split things up so I don't kill the washer any faster than needed.

At any rate, I am coming to the conclusion that I may not even have enough "warm pants" either. I don't wear heavy pants here. At least none that are casual. I have some nice slacks that I wear for school and then about three pairs of pants that I wear on the weekends. This could be some serious problem when I actually haul out the suitcase and pack. So- note to my friends and family:

I will be wearing lots of sweatshirts and switching between a minimal amount of pants when I see you tomorrow and through the rest of the week. :)

No comments: