Tonight Chris and I officially graduated from while belt (lowest) to orange belt! True, it's only one step up, but not bad at all for only having four lessons! High compliments were paid to us by our instructor, Mr. Chang Ho. That was nice. The best part about graduation is that it is everyone who will go from white to orange, orange to yellow, and yellow to camo. This means even the little kids- and there was one tiny girl of about 4 years old!
Basically you are put into groups- the wee little ones, the mid-aged kids, then the "big kids" (adults). The most fun is watching the little ones. They are very enthusiastic and like to kihap (key-ap) a lot. That's basically the "hiya" focus yell. That, and they like to big moves. Instead of just a little jump back at the end they LEAP back and scream!!!!! The mid and big kids, we all got a good laugh from it.
In other news, I just finished a great book. It's the second auto-biography of Lance Armstrong called Every Second Counts. I highly recommend it. I started to read the first one, but haven't finished it because I don't own it. I could go to the library, but like a true bibliophile, I want to own it. I hate borrowning books because I always have to give them back. What if I want to reread it? Anyway, the reason I didn't buy the first one is because one of my students asked me some books I would like for Christmas and I said that one. I might get it and I would hate to already have it....Vicious cycle and what not. I digress....
The book is really great. It focuses on the point where the first one leaves off, which is roughly right after winning his first Tour de France. What is interesting is that it has a good flow and a very honest narrative. Lance Armstrong (with the help of Sally Jenkins) tells the story of winning the second, third and fourth Tours and all the crazy stuff in his life during and a little after. The other thing that really got me was his narrative of the actual races and the fact that I actually remember seeing the race on TV or the highlights of many of the major parts of the races (crashes, memorable moments, etc). Definitely read this book!
In the mean time, I am going to drag my sorry, orange belt butt to bed soon. Tired over here. Pajama time and reading time!
Monday, December 13, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
The next time you come, maybe you can spar against Mitchell.
I finally finished reading The Lord of The Rings from front to back, including all the appendicies, not too long ago. Perfect timing with the ROTK:EE DVD coming out today and the entire EE Trilogy (12 DVDs (!)) as well.
I hope to get a couple books for Christmas that appealled to me. A pretty good scan in B&N led me to asking for Unlocking the Secrets of The Da Vinci Code. I have read some about the places that are featured in the book and some of the historical references that were made. Fascinating fiction because it has the twinge of reality in it to make people think. Not to say that I am a huge fan of his, but the movie w/ Tom Hanks has a HUGE undertaking to keep with the book (similar to LOTR in that sense).
Post a Comment