Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Goal Setting

Today's big lesson at camp was all about goal setting. Not just a New Year's Resolution, but one step further to making it a goal. How many people in this country do you think remember their resolutions come February? Go ahead and guess, I'll wait. Give a percent to that....Ready?

A mere 7% of people even remember what resolutions they made by the time February rolls around. Here's something else that is interesting- only about 12% of the population actually write goals down. Not resolutions, but just their goals. Something else to ponder- the people who do write down their goals, only about half of them have a vision for how to accomplish those goals. By vision I mean, not only can they actually close their eyes and visualize what the end result is, but they actually have some sort of plan in mind to accomplish these things. I don't know about you, but this blew my mind.

Our life skill in TKD until next graduation (in February) is goal setting. This is the basic definition of a goal- something you want to do and something you are willing to work for. Then there is vision- actually stopping to see in your mind's eye how to accomplish the goal. But it doesn't stop there! Vision can also be seeing how your life will be affected once you accomplish the goal. How will things change? What will be next? Heavy stuff when you really stop and thing, right?

Okay, so now I have to address my homework: I am supposed to write down what my goals are. There are four basic area that you can look at:
1) Family Goals- how will you affect change in your family life in the ways you want?
2) Personal Goals- in what ways will you improve yourself?
3) Professional Goals- how will you continue to grow or change in your job?
4) Philanthropic Goals- how will you give back to your community?

My goal for goal setting is writing one small and one large goal for each of these areas. Then, I have to visualize how to get to these goals. I need to write down my plan for accomplishing these goals I have just set. What a huge task! I mean, when you think about it this is a lot. So folks, stay tuned to this blog. I think I may use this as a medium for writing down the goals. Here are my first two big goals (personal and professional respectively):
1) I will become a black belt in Tae Kwon Do
2) I will become Nationally Board Certified in teaching.

The plan....well, the black belt part is easy. Continue to study and work hard, take camps when time and money allows. The teaching is less easy, but it also includes lots of hard work. It also requires that I work hard on keeping really good track of things in the classroom (materials and activities) and start thinking about what I would want to use as my primary unit of study during the process. At any rate, there are two and there are only eight more to go overall.

2 comments:

Shane said...

Those are admirable goals. To get NBC for teaching is a big deal. Are the teaching requirements in NC stringent? Usually how long does it take for tenure or do you need to have some sort of certification before you can be considered? I know that nowadays you need continuing ed. credits in MI, but that was only the case as of 5-10 years ago. I remember when Engler singed the law requiring that teachers only teach what their major was in college if they taught secondary ed. There were teachers like Mr. Wolven who taught math for 30 years, but was a Social Studies major and couldn't teach math any more. Same with my folks. My dad taught science and math and SS, but only majored in science. So he couldn't teach the other stuff without some sort of training or classes. They were like "we've taught this for 30 years, what's different?"

Anyway, the TKD stuff is cool... but it reminds me of The Karate KidDaniel: What belt do you have?
Miyagi: JCPenney, $4.95. You like it? HA HA HA !

Ah... no one can deliver a line like that like Pat Morita...

Mandy said...

Let me see...the requirements in NC are the same as everywhere when it comes to NBC. You do have to have renewal credits, you cannot start the process until after you third full year of teaching. I think down here they have similar laws as in MI, but I don't know about the whole issue with secondary ed and teaching your major. It probably has to be related, but we also have something called "lateral entry" because there is such a need. Basically it is offered to people who are highly qualified, but not trained (in the traditional sense) to be a teaching. They also are "high need" areas (ESL, Special Ed, Secondary math, etc).