Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Holy cow, that's a lot of fudge!

I am very tired right now. I just spent the better part of the evening (6:30 until now) making fudge and placing it in containers for students and friends as gifts. Ugh. I love fudge, but I am tired of it now. I think I might just package it all and take it to school and give away the extra. The thought of eating a piece is making me a little ill. And I love all things chocolate too! Still, I know that my kids will like it and that my "teacher friends" will appreciate a little chocolate.

I tutored tonight for the first time in a few weeks. Kristin, the student, is in 11th grade. She was born in Korea and moved here when she was 14. Basically the girl is a smart kid, but things sort of get lost in translation when she writes papers for school. My job, in a nutshell, is to help her proof-read and edit so that her meaning and ideas are a bit more clear. She's taking an English and history class that are beyond AP (advanced placement). More or less, it's like taking a college course. Expectations are pretty high. I am happy to report that her first major paper in the history class (since retaining me as a tutor) received a score of 90 out of 100! Man, I was pleased! This totally means that I am worth $30 an hour! And, if her parents continue to see improvement and all that I will continue to make extra money that pays for tae kwon do. Woo hoo! I have another possible student, another Korean kid in 8th grade, whose mom is simply worried that when he gets into high school he might struggle with the more advanced writing due to being bilingual. I think I found a career for myself where I can make money some day if I decide to be a stay at home mom. MAN! Tutoring pays well if you can get enough students.

So the other thing that I love about tutoring Kristin- after a day of dealing with 10 year olds, it's nice to be able to go and teach/help someone who is a little closer to my conversation level. Really, it's just nice to be able to not have to teach high school, but have the benefit of the mental stimulation of a high schooler (who is smart) and the type of writing they do.

Anyway, in other news- my brother is getting a minivan! This makes me laugh. I know that he swore he would never have one, but I think God has a pretty wicked sense of humor when Melinda got pregnant again. I can't wait for this new baby too, but I still get a good giggle when I think about the fact that my brother will drive a minivan. :)

10 comments:

Shane said...

A minivan ?!?!?! HAHAAHAha...hah...ha... Oh crap. I forgot that I am getting one too. Probably mid-year next year after baby #2 arrives.

Just goes to show you that try as you might, you or everyone you know will own a minivan at one point in their lives.

Sigh... and I really wanted to get one of those Chevy SSRs... oh well.

John said...

We pick up the minivan today. They should have someone going to get it as I write this. Melinda will drive it most of the time though.

Jen said...

Hahahaha!

I said, "Never a minivan!!!" So I got a SUBURBAN. Suckers!!!!!!!

And, no, it's not new, so it's not that much money. I am not ready to be a soccer mom!

Mandy said...

Alright....I really think it's funny that Tripper will have to drive one. :) I admit it. And I think it is almost more funny that Shane will drive one. I can't explain why...maybe it is the tallness factor. And Jen- at least there is reason for someone to drive a Suburban up there. You know- snow and adverse weather. Down here people are just in love with large cars and then, the Soccer Moms, get all crazy and can't actually drive these humongous vehicles!

Jen said...

It's not fun to park sometimes (picture me driving around Great Lakes Crossing yesterday, for instance), but it is pretty versatile. I'm used to it now, but when I get into my Honda Accord, it's like "Wow! I'm SMALL!"

We couldn't ever, ever consider a new one, but the used one was in great shape for the same price (less?) as if we had bought a new Durango.

It's mildly amusing that they got a van, but I'm used to people going against that vow to never get a minivan. It's happened a lot in my family. =)

Shane said...

Now what would make it so funny that I'm getting a minivan??? I've got a '04 Grand Prix right now... talk about no headroom w/ that bad boy. I'm driving like I'm in the ghetto with the seat all the way back. Worst part is the car seat is right behind my seat so Maddie likes to give dad a back massage by kicking the back of it.

Now that I think about, anything short of a Hummer would bee too small for me. From what I hear though, Hummers don't have the headroom they look like they should. I'll just have top be like the tall guy in the Simpsons with little car.... and if you don't know.. :)

Jen said...

Yeah, my father-in-law and one of my best friends has a Grand Prix. Not a bad car, but not a car for tall people, either. How tall are you?

I actually saw a Hummer commercial the other day. The advertised payment's only in the 500s, with no $ down. That surprised me, as I was thinking the payment would be a lot higher.

Not on topic, really, but there's a horse trainer around here that drives an orange hummer with the vanity plate "Emmywnr" or something because he's won a daytime Emmy for something. Tacky.

Shane said...

I am 6'6".

I love the GP, except the height thing. It handled awesome in the snow. 6 inches on the road and the Traction Control kicks in and keeps me moving forward. Not like the knuckleheads in the cars going around corners at intersections fishing it all the way out and then oversteering to get back on the road and almost taking poles, signs, and other cars with them... >:S

Jen said...

Stu--YOU TALL! (Please say that with some soul).

My only beef with the Grand Prix is that the one my father-in-law owns has had a lot of problems. He let me borrow it last year when they took the Suburban down to Atlanta, and the thing ended up dying on me on M-59. Billy calls his dad, who says, "Oh yeah, didn't I tell you I think the fuel pump's going bad?" Thank you. A thousand times, thank you. I won't mention I was about 5 months pregnant at the time. Oops, there! I mentioned it! =) And, sure enough, it was the fuel pump. He's had to have the computer for the dash replaced (whatever the term for that is), and it was just outside of warranty.

Otherwise, nice car. I really prefer my Honda, even over the Suburban. If we had the dough, Billy would be getting a Land Rover. He loves those to pieces.

Mandy said...

I did understand the tall man in the little car. I'm a MacLachlan, after all. Our favortie passtime (other than going to Best Buy) is watching The Simpsons. Just please don't punish me like the guy did to Nelson. :)

The funny thing about folks down here (well, one of the funny things) is that they seem to sell A LOT of Hummers. Really, I don't get it. You could be in a ghetto neighborhood, but you see a Hummer rollin' on down the street. It's really odd. And I just can't explain why I think you driving a mini-van is funnier than Tripper driving one. It just is. ;)