Monday, August 15, 2005

Riboflavin

Who would have ever thought that a little Riboflavin could go such a long way? Not me. You see, this is a wonderful new addition to my daily intake of vitamin B-12. A while ago it was told to my from the neurologist that B-12 is a good vitamin to take when you suffer from headaches. Well, if you know me, then you know I don't just get normal headaches. I am in the very elite group of "chronic migraine sufferer" and headaches have a life of their own. At any rate, Gina (who has her PhD in neuro-science), assured me that the brain loves the B vitamin group. So, I take the little red B-12 pills every day.

Recently I went back to the doctor after having an asthma attack in karate (really not fun). He asked if I had any other concerns (of the non-asthma variety) and I mentioned that I have been having a lot more head aches and that I am just not sleeping well. I already know that most people in my category of migraines tend to have some form of insomnia, but I was thinking perhaps there was some sort of miracle cure. No such luck. However, the doctor did tell me that he had recently read a new study about patients who took riboflavin (you know, the vitamin that cereal companies put in the breakfast cereals with tons of sugar) and reduced their overall headache numbers. Hmmm.....

So, he suggests I take 400mg a day. Now, call me silly, but I just didn't think this was so out there as a dosage. I mean, I already take 1000 micro-grams of B-12 a day. Well, fast forward through me thinking that my doctor is insane and NO ONE sells riboflavin to figuring out that riboflavin is just another name for vitamin B-2! Ah ha! Now the fun can begin.

EXCEPT, well barely anyone sells B-2. I have also found out that, if they do, they only sell it in small dosages. Like 50mg or 100 mg. Great. Now I get to visit the wonderful world of buying huge quantities from expensive vitamin stores. So, $13 later (which really wasn't as bad as I thought) I have to take FOUR PILLS EACH MORNING, just to get that 400mg. GAH!

Things I have learned about riboflavin:
1) It doesn't taste good, even when you are an old pro at taking pills.
2) It does help with the migraines and headaches.
3) It is a strange color of yellow.
4) IT TURNS YOUR URINE THAT SAME UNNATURAL AND ODD COLOR OF YELLOW NO MATTER WHAT YOU DRINK!

All in the name of not having wicked headaches that, in the past, send me to the ER. I give you Radio-active Urine pills....otherwise known as B-2.

3 comments:

Shane said...

forgive me... i am not making light of your medical issue. :)

but, all i could think of at the end of your blog is the Simpsons episode with Radioactive Man putting on the goggles to protect himself from the river of acid coming his way.

"My eyes... the goggles, they do nothing !!!"

That and the obvious Professor Frink reference to "Ribo-FLAVIN"... ;)

I'm sorry... so very sorry. It's an addiction really... between Simpsons and Family Guy, I have too many quotes to use and have to let them out every so often.

Back to your story - Gina is Dr. of Neurology?? Impressive, most impressive. Personally, I can't remember to take any pills. Being old is rough on me. I wouldn't remember my socks if I didn't have to put my shoes on to go to work. ;)

Jen said...

Oh, if anyone is used to Simpsons quotes coming out of the middle of nowhere, it's Mandy. Remember who her brother is. =) Can't remember what we were talking about Saturday night, but out of the middle of nowhere he starts practically crying before he has to relate the current conversation to "that one Simpsons episode". Yah.

Never heard of anyone taking Riboflavin (B-2), but good to know for the future, should I ever start having migraines.

I'm taking alfalfa pills (yes, alfalfa.... smells pretty much like they stuffed hay in the caplets, which I guess they did.) for swelling, prenatals, and now the B-complex every day. So, pretty much everything that comes from me would glow really well under a blacklight. It's pretty frightening, actually. And also pretty gross.

John said...

Well Jen, if you are taking alfalfa pills, maybe I should start taking Buckwheat pills. Heheh.