Sunday, February 10, 2008

Day Ten

I recently saw the movie Across the Universe and was completely blown away. I can't really remember a time when I wasn't aware of The Beatles, but I am sure there is such a time. My parents (more my dad than my mom) were fans, but it was through my brother that I really discovered them and developed a love for their music. After seeing this brilliant movie and watching the Grammy Awards tonight I felt like a good place to put some energy would be a personal essay of sorts. There are so many more places I think I can go with the following short essay. I have a lot of ideas where I might incorporate memories of Tripp's and my childhood and our shared adult memories and wrap it around certain songs that remind me of him and of The Beatles. We shall see; but for now here is the beginning of something:

I remember a time before my discovery of The Beatles- a time when my brother and I could not agree on anything. One day his game changed for good when it came to me. He would corral me, and any friend who was with me, and make us sit on his top bunk. I remember tracing the pattern of the old Model T cars on his quilt as he quizzed us in “Name that Tune” style with any music he had on tape. His favorite victim of the time was poor Gina, who had not had the benefit at that time of a pop music upbringing. His blue chip, show stopping, friend-torturing choices were always classic rock.

I don’t remember the first time I heard The Beatles, but I know it must have been our parents who introduced us to them. I may have heard them with my parents first, but it wasn’t until my older brother that I truly listened to them. It is my first memory of a time when we would begin to agree, to solidify the idea my parents swore by: Some day your brother will be your friend. The glue that would hold us together would eventually become our mutual love for The Beatles.

No comments: