Friday, February 01, 2008

Day One

So I went back in my journal and started looking at some of the more narrative stuff I wrote while I was at NCCAT. I write a lot about family- somehow I shouldn't be so surprised by this fact, but I am. It must be simply where I am in life, but I was also reminded by someone that even in my every day life you can tell my family is important (and crazy too). So, I was re-reading this narrative I had done about my brother and I and them moments where we eventually turned from mortal enemies to really figuring out that the other person was worth something. Eventually, we even became friends. So, fast forward and I discovered that I was a little haunted in my dreams with this phrase: Thick as Thieves. I liked it, and it kept rolling around in my mind. So, here's what happened when I took a narrative, a phrase I liked, and turned it into a much shorter poem.



Thieves
We are thick
You and Me
Thick as thieves, they say.
Bonded together
Battle scars the same-
We are thick.

Some say we once fought-
Fought like thieves
I say.
Even then, we were thick-
Thick as thieves.

I wear your scars proudly:
Those long past battles,
Your scarlet hand print
On my back
Like a brand:
Thieves.

I kept your secrets
All those lifetimes ago.
A stifled sob-
Ghostly wail in the dark.
Your secret I keep-
Like a thief.

We two are thieves-
Stealing away and dreaming
Of some far off day
You and me, big brother,
The day we became
Thick
As
Thieves.

No comments: