Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Captain Karen Rocks My Socks!

So Chris and I have nearly finalized our California plans. We are going to buy our tickets next Tuesday (when the money hits the bank). I'm pretty excited- I have never been out to Cali and I'm looking forward to a new place and vacation! We'll be staying with his mom, which is cool. San Diego here we come! Lots of sight seeing and all that.

A cool thing about it all is that Chris and I both have friends out in the area that we'll be able to see. I talked to Karen tonight (my resident Cali friend) and she is excited to have us out there. My little shout out to her from the title of my post here. She rocks my socks just because she's the Captain, but mainly because she makes me laugh. She still calls me by the high school nick name, she knew me way back when at the old DQ (and hasn't disinherited me as of yet) and she knew me in college and after. That's lots of history, man. A TON.

Here's the best thing about Karen- she is a voice of reason. I can honestly say that in some of the darkest hours of my college life (AKA The Rob The Bastard Situation) she was the cool voice of reason about what should be done about the best friend cheating thing. Long story, not to be told here. If you know me well, you remember the whole sordid affair. Not only that, but Karen is the best darn cheerleader a friend could ask for. Seriously. For example- we haven't had a chance to talk in a long time on the phone. It's easily been six months. I look up her number on the good old internet, call and when I say: "Hey Karen, it's Mandy" she has the most pleased as punch tone to her voice to greet me. Karen is one of the few people in this world where I think that is a permanent thing. I like to think that it's a voice reserved for "special friends", but if it isn't, I can deal with it.

Bottom line- Captain Karen rocks my socks. Everyone needs a Captain Karen in their life.

No comments: