Monday, August 09, 2004

Libraries and Printers

Libraries and Printers. Grrr. I like them both, but they never seem to come through for you in a crunch. Case in point:

I have been waiting for the release of a great book called Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde. It is the fourth installment in his series of Thursday Next novels. WAITING AND WAITING. Now the book came out and I have no money to spend. I take a look at the local library (online because you have to love technology). I see that I will not be wasting my time going there because it is in! WOO HOO! Now, I like the library and I think whoever invented it was a genius. However, I also love OWNING my own books. Yet, in the absence of money, the library is good enough for me. I walk into the North Regional Library and confidently scan the "New Fiction" shelf. The computer catalog (because there is no longer a card catalog, which I find a little sad in ways) has told me that there is one copy of my Holy Grail of books and it is on the New Fiction shelf. It's not there, though. Puzzled, I look at the re-shelf cart. Not there either. Hmm....I look on the computer again. It still says that it is checked in. GRRRRR. I find a different book to check out, which will pale in comparison to the literary genius of Something Rotten. I walk to the counter and tell the nice lady that I can't find a book that the computer says is on the shelf. The woman looks it up (after I pay my $1.30 fine- another thing that bothers me about libraries is that I don't get as long as I need) and says that the computer is misleading and the series is "highly popular" (DUH!!) and that the book really isn't in, but she changed it so no one else is confused. GAH!!! Why doth you play with me wicked library??? WHY???

My other problem....can't get the printer to work after it has been at my mom's all this time. Can't find the disk to install ALL the proper files. Of course, the download online doesn't contain one of the vital files. What crack are the HP people on? Lord only knows. And of course the printer is no longer in the warranty period. I swear, HP is full of bull. Why would you put the drivers to download minus a critical file? TO MAKE MORE MONEY! THE BASTARDS!! GAH GAH GAH!!!

No comments: