So tonight was the annual Open House at school. I don't know if they do an Open House in the middle and high schools, but we do it in the elementary. Basically it is a few weeks after school has started and you open your classroom to the parents. You prepare a little speech about your classroom, the curriculum, how you are making sure their child is successful and what support you need. In a perfect world this is how it would go:
1)Introduce yourself and tell them a little about you
2)Talk about the daily routine in the room and your expectations for the class
3)Talk about the curriculum and how you teach it
4)Touch on any other subject that seems or is important (Standards Based Grading).
5)See if they have questions for you......no? Everyone goes home!
In my world tonight- this is basically what happened. It was so nice! I always worry about Open House. There are three types of parents in the world: a)the way too mellow parent (isn't involved enough at home with the kid or just leaves them to their own devices); b) the way too high strung and demanding parent (the ones that hang out at your door every day demanding things of you and make it impossible to do your job- teach their child); c)the parents who are well-balanced (supportive, yet firm at home and realize that you are a professional and you actually went to school for this).
With that said I will admit the following: I am not a parent and I do not have that particular perspective. Parents should know their child better than I ever will. HOWEVER, my job, the one I trained for, the one where I have to go to classes every year in order to keep my teaching license, is not easy. I deal with a lot every day that doesn't always have to do with the kids. And when you have Open House....sometimes you just never know what kind of parent will walk in the door. Add on to the "normal" concerns that this is a brand new school, we are using a completely new math program, we are using a completely new literacy program, and- oh yeah!- we are using standards based grading. That means we don't give letter grades (a far better approach, but it is hard to get kids and parents to transition into the new mindset). So, I was praying that tonight could just be okay....not great, not perfect, not the best ever. Just okay.
With a big grin on my face- it went great. The parents of my students are great. They just get it. They get that this is my job and I work very hard to make sure I give their child the best possible education. They get that 5th grade is not college, but I am preparing them for the beginning transitions into young adulthood. They get that I want to let the kids be kids from time to time. Most of all- they are simply putting their trust in me and the school and our principal. I can not tell you how good that feels! I can- it feels like being tired because it takes a lot of work.
It feels good. Good like a nice stretch on a calm and sunny day does. Or taking a nap and waking up to a hug. Good like when someone simply says to you (like some of the parents did to me tonight): You're doing a great job. We're happy.
Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment